Saturday, January 16, 2010

First Bread

Well, I have ventured into uncharted water..I bought a bread machine and attempted to make my first loaf of bread. I recall growing up in a house where I used to watch my mom mix the dough watch it rise on the counter and then watching her roll it out into all different kinds of bread. Rolls, pretzels, pizza dough to your basic white sandwich style bread loaves. I must admit I am VERY VERY timid when it comes to yeast. I am terrified to do anything that calls for yeast. Well I decided that since I wanted to learn cooking more, stop eating out and eat healthier for not just myself but for my family. SOO I took my Christmas money and bought a bread maker.

Today my hubby Greg went to the store for me as I was doing laundry and cleaning house. I sent him with a small list of Bread Flour (Recommended for bread machines), Active Fast Rising Yeast, and Dry Instant Milk. My wonderful hubby came home with Bread Flour, Active Fast Rising Yeast, Canned Milk, and a box of Country White Bread mix where you just add water. As I unpacked the bags I soon found no dry instant milk box but found canned milk. I asked where the dry milk was and he said I bought two cans of it isn't that it. I explain to my hubby "Honey you know the box that your mom used to buy when you were a kid. Mostly was a red white and blue box that said Carnation Instant Milk. You just add water to the flakes, tasted terrible but parents still made you drink it" He responses with NO..I couldn't stop laughing and thinking ok how many other kids didn't have to drink this as a kid. Was I the only one punished to have to drink this???

But all is not lost. Since Greg brought me a box mix I was able to still try out my new machine. As I put the mix together and load the machine I watch and wait. Every few minutes check on it and peak through the window. Blessedly my manual has a break down for all us watched pot people that breaks down the time and what the machine is doing at that time.

Three hours later and a little sunk in but smelling GOOD. We are ready to taste it. It was very very good. Nice and warm with melted butter. I am looking forward to learning more and making it without a mix. But for the first time I am very happy and blessed my hubby bought a mix.

1 comment:

  1. Bread machines are fun there isn't a limit to the items you can create with it. Your bread looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete